Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Blog Patch 1.03

I've got some hefty original content in the works that's going to take a bit time to get done. Seeing as I have yet to get on my WoW review (logistical issues) I'm going to have to cut back on my amount of content for a bit. Since I do have to keep posting I'll give you something that will keep you occupied for a bit.

I've always enjoyed reading comics. Not Spider-Man and company, but the likes of Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes), Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County, Opus), and Stephen Pastis (Pearls Before Swine). These comics always managed to develop story lines and characters while providing a constant amount of funny. With the advent of the Internet, a new genre of comics has sprung up. The genre has aptly been named "Web Comics" Seeing as this is a tech blog and I do need easily accessible content; the next few posts will focus on various web comics that I have come across and enjoy.


This time around I have two of my first webcomics. Sluggy Freelance and Bob & George.


http://www.lemondeselonnick.com/IMG/arton14.jpg
Sluggy Freelance is a very long running webcomic (11 years and counting) that focuses on character relationships with a healthy dose of humor. Sluggy started out with some very basic humor laden plotlines and frequent puns, but now has long arching plot lines and complex characters that [Novelist of your choice] would be jealous of. The art is clean, the humor is genuinely funny (although it can be pun heavy at times), and the content is pretty clean. This is one to read.



http://www.rpgclassics.com/~onlinelife/images/Dave.gif


Bob and George started as filler for a hand drawn comic, but the author discovered that the filler proved more popular than the actual content and thus Bob and George was born. B&G takes place and parodies the various Megaman games; a basic knowledge of the games is helpful for understanding the jokes but is not required. B&G started in '00 and finished in '07. The comic is now on a loop presenting the comic that would have normally been "aired" on that particular day with optional commentary from Dave (the author). The storylines and the takes on well known characters provide constant humor for the readers and the running gags are priceless (Ice cream anyone?). I should note that the characters will swear fairly often as the situations call for it.


I've got a good bit on my plate right now so I'll try and update while I can. No promises for during the break though, I'm going to go on an epic TF2 bender that I may or may not come out of.


On a parting note, here's a little gem of an Obama ad came across. Fun for Democrats and Republicans alike.

No comments: