Wednesday, March 25, 2009

WTF Bama Dining?

Once again I must deviate from my normal subject matter and address something a bit more pertinent than the "lieking of teh mudkipz". Bama Dining has always been good to me and the student body as a whole, but a recent observation has changed my views on our collective provider of all things food. Allow me to spin a little story.

Twice a week I take part in a bit of self inflicted sadism better known as an eight AM class. On these wonderful mornings my daily ritual is as follows:

6:30- Wake up to Aces High set around max volume. (I may be going deaf, but I'm up)
6:33- Stumble into shower and proceed to scald myself in a further attempt to wake up.
6:45ish- More self grooming and dressing with the most readily available clean clothes.
7:00- Watch Robin Meade (Oh baby) while eating "breakfast". (Usually a granola bar and OJ)
7:20- Brush my teeth and head down to the bus stop to catch a ride to BB Comer.

Bear with me here.

On this morning I awoke to discover that I had neglected to restock on supplies over the break and had to make due with a liquid breakfast. As I nursed my 1.5 Liter Green Tea like a $12 drink I thought to myself: "Well, I may as well head to Lakeside after class and get a hot breakfast." Fast forward to about 9:15 and I find myself in front of the aforementioned dining hall. I go in and look down the stairs to the promised land of foodstuffs. Empty and closed off.

"Oh Kaaaaayyyy. I think I'll just head over to our lovely diner which is conveniently located about 30 feet from where I am standing, and prides themselves on offering breakfast up until 3 in the bloody morning."

Empty.

"*$^&!!!!"

While buying a instant oatmeal from the store (which may I add led to some lovely burns and an impressive stream of swearing about 10 minutes later) I learned that the diner used to have a good deal of business in the mornings. Which leads me to this:

WHY IN GOD'S GREEN HELL CAN I GET WAFFLES AND BACON AT 3AM AND NOT IN THE MORNING WHEN THE SODDING THINGS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SERVED?!

Now don't get me wrong, I use the Diner all the time (Where else are you going to get chicken fingers a 1 in the morning?) and I think they've got a number of things right (eg- having a semi streamlined process, pretty good food, and late hours). But come on now, do you expect me to haul my sorry butt up to the Ferg to eat at Fresh Foods (where I eat lunch anyway) just to get a meal that I should be able to get anywhere?

Now if this is fixed I can't claim that I would eat at the Diner every day or even once in a while, but if I can get a hot cheap meal fast like I can at night then I might change my mind. Do the right Bama Dining, give us breakfast back. After all as much as you guys have been pushing proper nutrition, shouldn't you be providing us with the most important meal of the day?

No comments: